Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Peter West: Exceeding Expectations

One of the mantras I teach about WOMBAT (word of mouth beats all techniques) is exceeding expectations. Peter West is a media relations pro with a lot of experience dealing with the LE world (that's law enforcement for you civilians!). Peter just completed a media-relations/communications training session for some Southern Ontario police officers. Now you and I know that there is nothing more intimidating than a bunch of burly peace officers who view the world in black and white. Their reception of this civilian (and ex-reporter to boot) was pretty cool for the first 10 minutes.

But apparently they warmed up to Peter pretty quickly because (in one of the officer's words) "he wasn't afraid of us."

The best thing about a customer with low expectations is that their word of mouth is tremendous when you exceed them. Well done Peter!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave, there is something about having high expectations and having them exceeded!

Thank you for being our Tech Alliance's guest in London for your "Knocking Down Silos" presentation on networking strategies. You ignited the passion that resides, sometimes all too silently, in everyone of us!

Congratulations on the launch of your WOMBLOG.

Don McLeod
HAPAV et filme inc.
London

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave,

I have spent the past 4 months working as a co op student for a pharmaceutical company in the Regulatory department, and it's been great.

I recently became very interested in Marketing, and I wanted to learn more about it but I didn't have any contacts that I could start speaking to. Yesterday I finally decided to go down to the Marketing department and speak to this one lady, lets say Sonya, who always seemed very friendly. I was shocked when she told me that she knew who I was and was more than willing to speak to me.

As it turns out, on numerous occasions my boss had made some pretty positive comments about me, and as a result I was able to learn more about marketing,and now sonya is looking to find a marketing position for me within the company.

Thank you Dave, for motivating me to not only meet, but EXCEED expectations!