Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The most empowering sentence you'll ever use


I have had two conversations over the last two days with "good guys" who were asking me if I knew of any job opportunities in their industry. Both have taken some hard hits lately (employment, family health issues). It's tough enough dealing with all that and then having to go out and network (aka "beg") for leads from friends, family and associates. Talk about a psychological downer. It's the networking equivalent of sitting on the sidewalk with a Tim Hortons coffee cup looking for change. I've been there.

Because I know them both as nice people and "good guys", I opened up my Rolodex and offered to introduce them to lots of great people and vouch for their character.Networking doesn't mean you have to get someone a job or sell their product; it means you offer to get them a conversation. And at the end of my enthusiastic offerings...I waited...waited for them to ask the most important sentence... Neither of them asked.

So, hard-wired coach that I am, I told them about the question:

And what can I do to help you Dave?

Their response to the question was identical: a blank look.

But Dave, I look at you as this really successful guy and there's nothing I can think of that I can offer you!

Hey guys, everyone needs something. Here are a few of my current challenges:

1. I want to write and book and would be interested in talking with folks who have successfully published or have insights into the publishing world.

2. I am building my speaking business and am always looking for opportunities with companies who need a keynote speaker on networking skills.

3. At MAGNES Group, I would always appreciate an introduction to the CFO or president of a life science company

4. I'm looking for the name of a good electrician in the Oakville area (I need some wiring in my house)

5. I am always looking for ways to promote next my marathon class - Howlett's Heavy Breathers http://www.geocities.com/dhowlett2004/running.html

Asking What is your biggest challenge this week and how can I help you? empowers you and lets you put something in the emotional bank. I appreciate it and so will others.

No matter how low you feel, you possess experiences and contacts that others value.

It turns out one of my friends worked formerly as a car salesman. He said he would be happy to give some tips on car-buying to any business associates of mine. In fact, he could go to a GTA dealrership in person and help them negotiate the price of a new car!

The other friend is a master salesperson in the spa industry and can get me a great “insider price” price for any of my clients and friends who wants to buy a hot tub.

I can use them both to add and reinforce relationships with my customers and clients (and all of you!). That really helps me!

We all have something to offer, we just need to be reminded of that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings Dave!

This has got to be one of my favourite posts from you since I've started reading your "Womblog". The first paragraph really hit home and it is almost relieving to know that I am not alone in my professional slump. A little empathy goes a long way.

I am really enjoying your tips and I am always looking for opportunities to use them in my day. Keep up the great work!

~Jen. (your pal at GSK)

PS. Is there anything I can do to help you? I won't have my ties here for much longer. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave,

Your call today was uncanny timing as I was starting to have self doubt in my abilities to find, interview and get a new job/career before the year was out. It has been incredibly stressful with family health issues and being a one income household always teetering on that financial threshold. I know that my capabilities are there and you are absolutely right that no-one wants to hire someone who is down in the dumps.

Your call was much ‘appreciated’ and put me back in the saddle and chewing on some biltong.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Thanks

G.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that! Not sure how you knew, buy my father was killed in a car accident a year ago. It was definitely a downer on me and my family in the midst of the busiest time of my life. Luckily enough many compassionate colleagues like yourself took to leap to help me through a professional crisis at a time of personal need. I look at the world from a different perspective now, trying to help wherever possible!

Anonymous said...

Wanted to send a quick note to DS and KS. They both gave me some great tips and I enjoyed
my conversations with them.

Dave, I have a quick question for you...
How can I help you? One thing I can do is recommend some great cheeses and
if you ever are in the Beach, feel free to swing by my cheese store. I'd be more than happy
to treat you to a cheese of your choice.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Dave
Somebody up there must be looking out for me.
I needed to talk to you and there you were.
I really appreciate your insight

Thanks
D

Please let me know what I can do for you.
(I used to work for a publishing company in Markham and I might still have contact with the owner)