Wednesday, August 02, 2006

I was wondering if you could help a friend?

Dear Dave,

I have a connection favour to ask...Attached is a resume from a friend of mine who is looking for employment..she is a hardworking and decent person who is truly in need of employment..any employment after the ending of a personal partnership and the resulting turmoil that creates. I offered to email you. I understand if you are not able to assist her with the "famous five" connection you are infamous for! She has a varied background but would love to work for...

Signed Helpful Friend

Dear Friend,

It's great to hear from you! Can you ask your friend to contact me directly please? Between you and me, I have stopped doing a lot of networking for 3rd parties. I have found much gets lost in the translation and sometimes the enthusiasm comes from the middle party, not the person who needs the opportunity or job. (I really see this with parents of kids looking for employment.)

Besides, networking takes courage and the easiest first step is to call someone who is offering to help you. That’s actually my first filter and you would be surprised how many times I never get a call from the person who needed the help (it happened 3 times last month).

I know you understand this type of thing and compliments to you again for your generosity in helping people. Tell her to please contact me with her "wish list" and we'll put the wheels in motion!

Dave

PS Please tell your friend that I’m doing more Knocking Down Silo events this Fall – details are at www.davehowlett.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She and I could not agree more. She was keen to call you but I told her how it worked with you and the infamous five. So I wrote first....as you can see from her resume. She would dearly love a full time position in the renovation/ construction industry. or anything connected. She told me she tried to get into I think Ikea, she was the second choice...and home depot proved to be very frustrating as they have a convoluted hiring process....do you know anyone at Mattamy? She would be great as a home satisfaction person..can't think of what they are called..you know once a person buys a home..the person who represents the company and the owner satisfaction after the fact..

anyway..she is a women who really needs a break at this point in her life...hardworking, decent and down on her luck in terms of this very sad break-up with her partner and little or no assets to fall back on..just wants a full time job so she can start her life anew...

i spoke with her last night and she will be contacting you today...anything you can do to help is much appreciated..and if you can not do a thing that is ok too!!! you are have much generosity of spirit...I am delighted to be able to connect with you in this way. I will look at your website...again thank you so much

Anonymous said...

Dave,
Now I know why you suggested I go to your site and check out this area.
I can't tell you just how strange it feels to see my life on your site...a deep reality check for me.
But a very good example for everyone to see for sure. I look forward to speaking with you again this coming week. As I told you before, I am grateful for your help and care.

Anonymous said...

the blog i enjoyed and couldn't agree more with you that 'stuff gets lost'

my question then is...how does one distinguish b'twn the person who says 'yes, pls, an introduction would be wonderful' - and it's actually genuine vs. the one who says the same - but in reality will not follow up on it? Are we missing a step in identifying who to reach out to and offer a hand to?

You or I may on instinct think 'hey, I know someone you should meet'....and we're probably right (wink) - but that person is not actually ready to put forth any effort. Are there some key/identifying questions that could be ask to know who is on the brink of 'networking' and who is not?

Like you've said before...this puts your name on the line - as it does anyone else who is in a position of 'referring/introducing'.