Friday, October 13, 2006

How a photograph can get you remembered (and appreciated)



Heading to a conference? Trying to find a way to "keep in touch" and "add value" when you follow-up so a luminary speaker remembers you? Rita Bauer is manager of media services at the University of Toronto and is also an international speaker on digital photography. Five years ago, we were presenting at a seminar together and Rita passed along a great idea that I had forgotten until this week. She suggested most speakers at conferences never have photographs of themselves and are appreciative when someone takes to time to follow-up with a frame or two.

I was presenting a Knocking down Silos evening in Waterloo on Oct 3 and received this very nice email from one of the students afterwards. Attached were two digital photos he had taken for my records. I immediately called him and thanked him for his thoughtfulness.

Want to stand out from the crowd? Think about carrying a camera with you to that next seminar.



------------

Dear Mr. Howlett:
First of all I wanted to say a personal thank you for coming to University of Waterloo again after the Science and Business the Driving Force Conference and speak at Knocking Down Silos last week. We as the Science and Business Students' Association had been planning, coordinating and marketing about this event since summer, but it would not have been such a great success without your truly insightful and awakening lessons.
Although the time was brief, it was a sheer pleasure having to chat you one on one and walk with you to your car. You spoke about your upcoming KDS event in November at University of Toronto with the Institute of Medical Science Students Association and I have been promoting this event to my University of Toronto friends ever since. As well, emails were sent to the many accounting professionals I've met and kept in contact with from all the accounting firm information sessions during my first university year. One thing I kept on forgetting mentioning to you actually, was that your friend Mr. Ronnie Tam from PriceWaterhouseCoopers LLP recommended Knocking Down Silos and your to me at beginning of year 2006; it had been one of the main incentives for I to become involved with SBSA and the Conference ever since, having able to get "front row seat" for your speeches.
Is there anything else I can do for you for the time being? I will be updating the SBSA website <
www.sbsa.uwaterloo.ca> very soon with the pictures taken at KDS. You are more than welcome to hyperlink our site and use the pictures for your own purposes. For now, there are two representative pictures attached, one is you and the group. Enjoy!


Sincerely yours,
Han Shu
2A Biotech/Chartered Accountancy CIO -SBSA
www.hanshu.uwsbsa.ca

No comments: