Friday, January 26, 2007

Rule #1


The first rule of being "a good guy" (and women can be good guys) is that you can't call yourself "a good guy." That's like leaning over in a bar and telling someone "I'm really good-looking!" Hey, if you have to keep telling someone you're good looking...you're not that good looking...

A buddy of mine shot me this email today with the above attached ad from a realtors website. See if you agree with him.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Dave:

I sorta took what you said about good guys to heart…. Remember when you said that you can’t call yourself a good guy… this guy does and after what I thought was an excellent profile of himself he lost all his credibility when he says “I am a genuinely nice guy”

Don’t ya just wanna shake people sometimes…….. thought you’d geta kick out of it!

Cheers, S






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dave, could not agree more, I know you and I have spoken about this before.

We talked about the fact that someone is a good guy when three other people say so - just how I came to hear you speak for the first time - because three different people told me to go hear you.

So I thought a little more about this - if I cannot say I am a good guy but other people have, how can I make prospective clients more aware of this via my web site and be a little more proactive.

Testimonials is obviously one route.

One tool I use with clients is a 360 personal branding perception tool - i.e. - what is the brand that you have, from others perceptions - it can be quite enlightening. I now direct prospective clients to my own 360 as a way for them to undertand a little more about my personal brand and what it might be like to work with me.

Here is is http://www.squarepegsolution.com/Assessments/PaulCopcutt360.html

Perhaps a little better than saying 'I am genuinely a good guy!" ?