Thursday, January 04, 2007

Networking vs Strategic Networking


I chatted with two new people this week - both were relatives of associates, very nice people and both are in job search mode. Neither had been to my seminars and it was apparent they were challenged by the concept of "strategic networking." I had some conversations with both B. and R. and I thought this was worth a blog.

Networking

- email everyone you know and ask if they can help you (eg get a job)

- email your resume to everyone, including people you haven't kept in touch with for years.

- keep a stack of resumes to hand out to anyone you meet.

- rely on a friend/your Mom/your brother-in-law to get that perfect position for you
- recognize that "good things just sell themselves" and you'll get that position if you just wait long enough
- put all your eggs in one basket. Stop your networking as soon as you get short-listed for a job.

- get upset that you are unqualified because you are too old/young/under-educated/over-educated/not good looking enough.


Strategic Networking

- make a list of industries/companies or individuals you would like to be introduced to.

- buy 10 thank you cards and 10 stamps (minimum)

- put together an Outreach Document. If you are confused or frustrated by where to go and what to do to find prospects, try read this great book by Dr. Barbara Moses.

- pick up the phone and start calling friends and family. Invite them out for a coffee. Renew your friendship and then ask if they can help you. Show them this document and ask if they know anyone on the list. Ask how you can help them. Ask for permission to call these people and use their name. remember, these aren't job interviews, they are informational interviews.

- Start off with this script to open the conversation then have a list of questions ready.

eg how long have you worked for your company?

eg do you enjoy what you do?

eg how did you find the company/how did they find you?

eg where do you see the company going?

eg what are your biggest challenges?

eg do you see any fit for someone of my background and experience in your company or industry?

eg is there anything I can do to help you?

BTW Try to find something you have in common with the callee (residence, schooling, family, sports, etc) .

- send thank you cards to your friend who referred you to the individual and to the individual. Make sure they are specific, sincere and searchable.

- Don't be upset if people forget to return your call or are tardy in getting back to you. Keep the pipeline full. Be persistant but not pushy. Keep paying it forward and if you get down - keep asking people how you can help them. The go out and keep your promises.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your advice today....it really helped renew my confidence in
finding another career. Your perspective makes total sense. I've
definitely kept in touch with a lot of people over the years, and have
helped them make connections in their careers. They have all been
appreciative and have kept in touch. But I have never really stopped to
reflect how I might benefit from this 'strategic networking'. I am always
too worried about 'disturbing people' or asking for favors. I guess I need
to focus on developing myself more. Networking with others would definitely
be a step in the right direction...(plus it'll help me improve my
communication skills).

Anyhow, I see on your website that you've asked for translations for 'good
guy'. Here are some I know:

In Italian:
buon uomo (good guy)

In Spanish:
buen tipo

In French:
bon gars
or bon homme

Let me know if there's anything else you may need. Next month I'll be in our
'community newsletter' advertising my educational consulting and tutoring
services with an educational tip segment (how's that for a first step in
networking! :)

You know what's funny that you mentioned how people connect...it's so
true...one of my previous student's mother emailed me because they had a
friend who was looking to get into teacher's college. She wanted to know
what teaching is like as a career. They wanted to know if I could sit down
with her. I was so flattered when they had said they couldn't think of a
better teacher to speak to than me. It really is flattering even just to be
recognized as a contact and I have to remem ber this when I contact others
in my search for info.

D.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the interesting post !

On this subject I recommend reading Opher Brayer's post - "the 10 Commandments of Networking".
Brayer is an expert in this field and I his insights extremely valuable:-)

http://www.opherbrayer.com/the-10-commandments-of-networking.html
http://www.opherbrayer.com/blog/downloads/10_Commandmants_of_Networking.pdf

I believe that everyone should develop his own set of rules in this matter, that will drive his career and achievements.

Mo said...

Hi Dave,

As you know via our conversations after the seminar that I think the information you offer is invaluable. I also found that the format to be ingenious...the networking opportunities are huge and the fact that you promote 'good guys' during the presentation is very commendable. This means you fit the 'good guy' description too.

As for me, my biggest challenge right now is penetrating the MGA (Managing General Agency) network in the Financial Services arena. I am a Regional Sales Manager and MGA's are a third party distribution network for our investment products. I would love tips on the best way to approach these organizations: Dundee Insurance Agency, Armstrong and Quaile, Blonde and Little to name a few. (These are Financial Planning offices located throughout Ontario).

I am also a licensed Insurance broker and can help you ensure that you and your family are protected against loss of income in the event of the following unfortunate events: disability, critical illness and even death. I will also ensure that you are not living below the line of poverty when you retire! ;-)

The last thing I will say is that I am part of Toast Masters International and would love to do motivational speaking. So anyone who can give me any direction on this, or put me in contact with other motivational speakers, would be much appreciated.

That's it for now!

Cheers!

Mo

Anonymous said...

Good suggestions Dave.

I just have a different opinion to one of your ideas. This is the one about sending resumes to everyone.

I read elsewhere that once a resume gets out of your hands and into someone else, you lose control of how you present yourself. Unless that person knows you well and is very good at positioning you to a prospect, that person may do more harm than good in putting your name forward.

In my own experience, I have found that sending my resume to others often ends in a black hole, and the advertising has hurt my reputation.

Far better is a resu-letter, an email that summarizes your key points within the space of one view screen. Another approach I've seen that is unique is a 5-slide power point teaser.

Hope these ideas are helpful,
Sam

Anonymous said...

To add to 'Translations' for 'good guy' commonly used in Spanish, would be "buena gente". Which actually means good people.

S.