Friday, June 01, 2007

Maintaining your Network and keeping it warm



Hi Dave:

It has been a little while since I have touched base with you. I hope everything is going well for you, personally and professionally. I am doing well, but having some difficulty trying to maintain my network, though I did put 2 former colleagues in touch with a head hunter. I continue to average 2 thank you cards a week, but sometime it is 4 one week and 0 the next.

Please let me know if there is anything that I can do. Otherwise, I will endeavour to stay in touch from time to time.

Doug

-----------

Hey Doug - great to hear from you. In fact, this is such a great topic, I'll put you in my blog today. You're absolutely right to be convinced of the importance of maintaining your network.

There is a tendency to let your Rolodex "cool-off" until you need something (e.g. sales, a job etc) and then you are perceived as a "B" friend (people only hear from you when you need something). The trick is to touch (or "ping" as my friend Glen Davis says) folks occasionally and give them something of value.

If you think about it, people do this naturally by calling "just to say hi", emailing a joke, forwarding a clipping or inviting someone out to play golf.

May I offer one other way?

If you are reading this blog, you likely have attended one of my Knocking down Silo events.

I'm just planning a series of Knocking down Silos across Canada.

One way to keep your networking going is to invite them to come to one of these interactive evenings. If they come, you know they will receive huge value. meet lots of interesting people to expand their own network. Even if they can't make it, talking about KDS gives you an excuse to call if you haven't "pinged" them in a long time.

And Doug, good for you for keeping those cards going. That kind of thing makes you a better person and lets your friends, family and clients know you appreciate them. It's been 6 months since you and I met and I'm impressed you have made this part of your lifestyle.

You're definitely "a good guy."

Cheers,

Dave

No comments: