Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Two good guys: two great insights


Let me tell you about two "good guys."

I've known Ed Catinus for 15 years, even since he took a scuba instructor course from me back in Ottawa.
Eddy just sent me an email letting me know he's been promoted to Coordinator, Training Work Management for OC Transpo (City of Ottawa public transportation). Couldn't happen to a more deserving guy.

I was chatting with Ed this past Spring and he commented that in any company there always seemed to be three types of employees.

15% of the workforce: The keeners, the go-getters, the ones with ideas and ones who step outside their job description.
75%: The good employees who put in an honest day's work for an honest day's pay. Their passion is generally not the company but something else (their family, sports etc) but they contribute and can be counted on.
10%: The complainers, the foot-draggers, the employees who are the first to object to an idea and don't make one step out of their job description.

Now Ed has never heard the Knocking down Silos talk but I find it interesting he is describing 3rd, 2nd and 1st gear! By the way, great managers can inspire employees to move out of first gear; I have no doubt Eddy is that person.

The second "good guy" is Mike Rusiniak. Mike attended one of my talks a number of years back and has since endorsed me to several of his friends and family (a great compliment). Mike also keeps in touch and sent me a great photo the other day that I may use in a future talk.

If you have attended Knocking down Silos, you'll know I often use a slide that demonstrates first gear "that's not my job" employee behaviour. (In fact, presidents and CEOs often ask for a copy for their future presentations.)

Mike shot me another photo with the following comment:
I know you're always tweaking your PowerPoint, if for no other reason than to keep yourself interested. I'm attaching a picture which you could use as an alternate to the "It's Not My Job" slide (the one where the road line painters painted over the dead possum or whatever it is). The attached pic is basically the exact same message, but in my opinion it also emphasizes how some people will actually work harder than average to stay in "1st gear". Don't feel obligated to use it; I just thought I'd share it.


Thanks Mike - I definitely will use it!


No comments: