Friday, April 14, 2006

Engineering Angst

How the heck do you get past the awkwardness of opening a new relationship?

I recently received an email from a "good guy" who had attended one of my seminars. We'll call him "Ed". In keeping with the WOMBAT philosophy, Ed sent me a thank you card and enclosed a great article titled As luck would have it. The he sent me the link by email: http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa006&articleID=000D60F7-CDDB-1419-89C783414B7F0101&colID=13

It was an amazing read and contained information I can use for my next Knocking down Silos seminar. I also forwarded to to several clients and prospects; and that made me look great.

Ed did exactly what it took to reinforce a relationship: to get you have to give.

But here's the kicker: Ed's got incredible knowledge and drive but (like many engineers and finance folks) he finds himself fixated on needing "things" to get in the door: business cards, catalogues, presentations. In fact, he's thinking of giving up on selling himself as he finds that he can't simply walk in and start talking to someone without a place to start.

I've got one suggestion and am challenging readers of WOMBLOG to chip in with their own.

Ed, if in doubt, start off with a compliment. People surround themselves with clothing, jewelry and decorations that reflect their taste.They are always flattered when someone picks up on it.

These have worked well for me for years:

"I was admiring your watch, it's really unsual."
"So I see you work for _________. I've heard a lot of good things about them. How long have you worked there?"
"Is that a Saab you drive? I've always thought about getting one of those, do you like yours?"
"You're a graduate of ________________? That's a great school! What was your degree in?"
"You say you're from India? Bombay? I'd love to go there one day. I've always had a fascination for history and I'd love to visit some of the beautiful temples in India."

These have to be sincere and honest - so find a compliment that works for you. Many people I know in the science and finance world don't lack sincerity; so this technique will work to open a relationship.

Any other suggestions for Ed?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like to find a point of common interest so that we have a topic we can both discuss - running, cooking, etc. Maybe "Ed" could try finding common points of interest with some of the people he encounters to initiate conversations.

Anonymous said...

I've heard of this advice many times, but I'm not seeing the steps between saying 'nice tie' and 'here's this thing I think you'd want to buy from me'. For me, that is the really hard part. Can you talk a bit about how you steer the conversation from their tie to your product (esp if it has nothing to do with ties?)

Anonymous said...

Like any sales situation, prospects are innundated with such calls, so how is he or she to know if this person has anything of value? Referrals help get the foot in the door (i.e. phone call), but when it comes to the next step (i.e. what to talk about or paying for something), everyone compares the proposed offer with their business needs. And if there's a match, they still do their diligence. So....

1) What is this engineer's goal? I was not clear as to why he wants to get a foot in the door. Is it to sell a product for his employer? Is it to get a job? Is it to raise money? He should start be defining his goal.

2) To get people's attention, I believe it's just like sales. He needs something to sell. If it is to sell his employer's product, then he simply applies selling 101, 201, 301 techniques.

If it is to get a job, or if he wants a better job (i.e. higher level), then he has to have accomplished something in his present role to demonstrate that he has something to offer. Bottom line: accomplish something, and sell that to your prospects. Without this, he doesn't stand out from anyone else that knocks on the door. Pretty common sense when we simplify this to your basic principles.

davehowlett said...

Power is attracted to power.

Most people think they are powerless and have nothing to offer but the product in their briefcase. And they are absolutely wrong!