Friday, April 21, 2006

What's the secret to goal setting?


Here's an email from one of the people on my running clinic:

On March 15, 2005 at my yearly physical my doctor told me to lose 60 lbs. She indicated that my 226 lbs was not ideal and I should be between 160 and 170 for my height. I told her I haven't weighed that since maybe grade 8 but I was now on a mission. I began training (swimming, biking and running) on March 16th and signed up to do an Olympic Triathlon in Sept. 2005. I completed my Triathlon goal and this year's goal as you may have figured out is a marathon. Over the past year, I've worked hard in terms of exercise, no so hard in terms of diet, but that's next. Anyway, yesterday was my yearly physical. Time to hit the scale and see was the year of training and getting off my a$$ did for me. I'm happy to say I'm down 49 lbs and now weigh 177lb. I have 7 more to go, but I know that it will happen. With the weight loss has come many benefits. I'm sick much less often, I can keep up with my 4 kids, and I'm just generally happier.

What's the secret to goal setting? Just write one out. Print it out. Draw a line in the sand. Make a deadline. Tell all your friends. Hang around good people.

Sure...we may stumble but better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will say one thing- why does it so often take a crisis to get us off our a$$e$ (to quote your runner) when so many of us otherwise enjoy healthy, able-bodied lives?

Food for thought...

c, also known as g

Anonymous said...

I find it's best to set small, obtainable weekly goals and keep adding on one a week. (i.e this week I will eat 6 servings of veg/day)

davehowlett said...

Great point Michelle - in my experience people go black or white. They set unattainable goals or set none at all.