Monday, April 17, 2006

Not just another branch office


So what's the secret in getting people to return your call? How do you stay "top of mind" so people remember you?

About 10 years ago, I had to make a trip to a local shopping mall. On my way back to the car, I came face to face with a parked truck. "Baldy's Tree Service" was prominantly painted on the side. My first reaction was "that's a funny name for a business". Around the front side of the truck, a guy was trimming shrubbery.

I struck up a conversation with him and asked him if he worked on residential homes. Turned out he did. Then I had to ask about the name. He mentioned that originally Baldy was just a nickname but his customers said it was a name they found easy to remember.

Rod's been back to my property 4 times in the last 10 years doing treework.

He's conscientious about tidiness, shows up on time and seems to do a good job. I've never really shopped around for another quote because it's so darned easy to remember to remember "Baldy's."

Sometimes you don't have to be better than your competition, just different enough to stay on someone's mind so they think of you when the need arises.

So how are YOU different?

No comments: